Kala Chana Recipe
Kala Chana (black chickpeas) is a delicious and healthy Indian curry. The curry prepared with this recipe has dry texture and its a good source of protein and can be served in breakfast or lunch. Learn how to make it with this easy recipe.
More Curry Recipes
Preparation Time: 10 hours
Cooking Time:20 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
|Kala Chana (Black Chickpea)||1/2 cup|
|Cumin Seeds (jeera)||1/2 teaspoon|
|Onion (finely chopped)||1 piece (medium size)|
|Tomatoes (finely chopped)||2 piece|
|Ginger (grated)||1/2 teaspoon|
|Garlic (crushed)||1 teaspoon|
|Green Chilli (slit)||2 piece|
|Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch)||1/2 teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder (haldi)||1/4 teaspoon|
|Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)||2 teaspoons|
|Garam Masala Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Curry Leaves||1 sprig|
|Bengal Gram Flour (besan) (optional)||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander Leaves||2 tablespoons|
|Cooking Oil||2 tablespoons|
- Wash and soak black chickpeas overnight in water for around 8-10 hours.
- Drain and transfer them to pressure cooker, add salt and 2 cups water. Pressure-cook them for 3-4 whistles on low flame. When pressure comes down, open the lid and check chickpeas become soft or not. If they are still tough, then add water if required and cook more for 1-2 whistles. (You can also use pan to cook them instead of pressure cooker but it will take more time.)
- Drain boiled chickpeas and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. When it is hot enough to saute, add cumin seeds. When seeds begin to splutter, add chopped onion and cook until it turns light brown.
- Add grated ginger, crushed garlic, chopped green chilli and curry leaves. Mix well and cook for 10-20 seconds on low flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt to taste (Please remember that we have already added salt cooking black chickpeas as well).
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and mix well. Cook on medium flame until tomatoes become soft or for around 2-3 minutes.
- Add boiled chickpeas and 1 teaspoon gram flour, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Turn off heat and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve it hot with paratha or steamed rice.
Tips and Variations:
- Kala chana is a heavy food so take it in the breakfast or lunch. Avoid eating it in dinner.
- Adjust quantity of red chilli powder and green chilli according to your taste to make a more or less spicy.
Serving Ideas: Serve this chana curry with roti, chapatti or tandori roti in lunch. It can also be enjoyed on its own or with plain curd in breakfast.