Introduce a twist to your routine preparation of alu matar subzi with gravy prepared from curd. Learn how to make Alu matar with curd gravy with this easy recipe.
|1 cup fresh or frozen Green Peas, boiled|
|4 medium Potato, boiled|
|1/2 cup Curd|
|2 tablespoons Cashew nuts, soaked in water for 15 minutes|
|1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste|
|3 Green Chillies, chopped|
|2 medium Onion|
|2 teaspoons Coriander Seeds|
|1 Cinnamon Stick|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (jeera)|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch)|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (haldi)|
|1 teaspoon Sugar|
|2½ tablespoons Cooking Oil|
|1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)|
|1 tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves, chopped|
- Peel and cut boiled potato into small cubes.
- Grind soaked cashew nuts with 2 tablespoons water and make a smooth paste.
- Blend onion, cinnamon, cloves and coriander seeds together and make an onion paste.
- Take a pan or kadai and heat oil and ghee in it. Add cumin seeds, when it begins to splutter, add onion paste (prepared in step 3) and sauté it until oil starts to separate.
- Add chopped green chilli and ginger garlic paste, sauté for a minute over medium heat.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder, stir and mix.
- Add cashew nut paste (prepared in step 2) and sauté it over low heat for approx 1 minute.
- Add curd (beat it before adding) and sugar; stir and cook for a minute.
- Add potato pieces, boiled peas (mutter) and salt. Stir well.
- Add 1/3 cup water and cook covered over medium heat until gravy becomes thick or for approx 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer curry to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with masala poori.
Tips and Variations:
- Add tomato puree (prepared from blanched tomatoes) in place of curd for yet another tangy variation or alu matar.
- You can take only oil instead of using both oil and ghee. However, ghee provides nice aroma to curry.
- Use baby potatoes for tempting looks.
- Add more water in step-10 to make thin gravy.
Taste: Spicy and mild tangy
Serving Ideas: The cashew and curd based gravy of this simple alu matar curry makes it worthy of being served in parties. Serve it with usual types of Indian rotis or naans.