More Chutney Raita Recipes
|2 medium size Onions, finely chopped|
|3 Dry Red chillies, broken into pieces|
|1 teaspoon Urad Dal (Split Black Gram)|
|2 teaspoons Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram)|
|3 Garlic cloves, chopped|
|1 teaspoon finely chopped Ginger|
|1/2 teaspoon Tamarind Paste|
|1/2 teaspoon grated Jaggery (optional)|
|1 teaspoon + 2 teaspoons Cooking Oil|
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan over low flame. Add urad dal and chana dal and sauté until dals turn golden brown. Add dry red chillies and sauté for 20 seconds. Transfer them to a bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in same pan and sauté chopped onion, chopped garlic, curry leaves and chopped ginger until onion becomes light brown or for approx. 1-2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow mixture to cool.
- Transfer sautéed dal mixture and sautéed onion mixture to grinder jar or food processor. Add tamarind paste, jaggery and salt.
- Grind until smooth paste. (Do not add water while grinding.)
- Transfer prepared south Indian onion chutney paste to serving bowl and serve you’re your favorite dosas and idlis.
- Sauté onion properly to get rid of its raw smell.
- If dry red chilli is not available, then add 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder in step 4 as a substitute of it.
- Use sesame oil instead of any other cooking oil for a nice flavor.