Gobi Manchurian Dry Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|1/2 cup Corn Flour|
|5 tablespoons Maida (all purpose flour)|
|1 medium size Cauliflower (Phool Gobi), broken into medium size florets|
|1/2 teaspoon Garlic Paste|
|1/2 teaspoon Ginger Paste|
|Oil, for deep frying|
|1/2 cup Water|
|1½ teaspoons Garlic Paste|
|2 teaspoons Ginger Paste|
|2 Green Chillies, finely chopped|
|1 large Onion, finely chopped|
|1 small Green Capsicum, finely chopped|
|1½ tablespoons Soy Sauce|
|1/2 tablespoon Chilli Sauce|
|2 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup/ Tomato Sauce|
|2 tablespoons Cooking Oil|
|2 tablespoons Spring Onion, finely chopped|
- Boil cauliflower florets in salted water over medium flame for 3-4 minutes. After boiling, drain excess water and pat dry florets on tissue paper.
- Mix maida, corn flour, 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste, 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste and salt in a bowl. Add water (approx. 1/2 cup) little by little and stir to make a batter. Make sure that batter is not too thick or not too thin. Its thickness should be similar to thickness of dosa batter. Add all florets in batter and mix well. For perfect manchurian, batter should coat florets evenly.
- Heat oil in kadai (frying pan) over medium flame. Carefully drop or slide 6 to 8 florets in oil and deep fry over medium flame until they turn golden brown. Drain and transfer deep fried florets over paper napkin to a plate. Deep fry remaining florets.
- Heat 2-tablespoons oil in a wide, thin-bottomed pan or wok on medium flame. Add 2 teaspoons ginger paste, 1½ teaspoons garlic paste, chopped green chillies, chopped capsicum and chopped onion.
- Sauté them on high flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, tomato ketchup, chilli sauce and salt.
- Stir continuous and cook for a minute
- Add deep fried florets.
- Toss and mix deep fried florets with other ingredients in pan for 1-2 minutes keeping flame on high. (Tossing everything on high heat in wok or pan is must for making best Chinese gobi manchurian dry.)
- Transfer it to a plate and garnish with spring onion. Serve it hot with tomato ketchup and chilli sauce.
- Do not keep deep fried florets idle for long time otherwise they will turn soft and you will not get the crunchy taste.
- Serve this dish immediately to get crispy taste of florets.
- Dry manchurian of gobi gets its primary taste from chilli sauce and soy sauce. You can adjust the quantity of these two sauces to get a desired flavor.
- To clean cauliflower florets, soak them in hot salted water for 15 minutes.
- Do not try to deep fry all florets in a single go, as they may not cook evenly.
- If you like crispy dry cauliflower manchurian, then deep fry batter coated florets for little longer than suggested time in this recipe.
Response: Thanks Disha.
Response: Hi Neerja, you can use a pinch of sugar (not more) instead of tomato sauce but the taste will change a little bit.
Response: Hi Julie, this recipe can be served as starter to 4 people and as side dish or accompaniment to 2 people. You can multiply all the ingredients of recipe according to your requirement of serving.
Response: Hi, I have never used the sweet soy sauce to make manchurian, but I think sweet soy sauce makes the manchurian little bit sweet.
Response: Hi Shubhangi, was the batter mixed properly and medium thick? Did you deep fry the florets on medium flame? This could happen if batter is too thin or the oil is not hot enough for deep frying.
Response: Hi, you can use chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) or finely shredded cabbage or lettuce for garnishing.
Response: Hi priyanka, if you prepare it in advance, it will become soggy. For crispy manchurians, serve it immediately after preparing.
Response: Hi Annie, serve the manchurian immediately after preparing it to get the crispy taste. If you deep fry the cauliflower florets in advance then moisture from the cauliflower will turn them soggy.
Response: Hi Elizabeth, if you are allergic to soy, you can skip the soy sauce, the taste will change a bit but it will still taste good.
Response: Yes, you can use same amount of wheat flour in place of maida in this recipe.
Response: Thanks larsen for suggestion.
Response: Hi, if you want to skip chilli sauce then add white vinegar (1 teaspoon) instead of it.
Response: Hi Rakesh, thanks for trying the recipe. There is no faster way to get crispy and crunchy cauliflower florets. You should fry it over medium flame until they turn light golden brown.
Response: yes, you can definitely use red chilli paste.
Response: You can use any type of chilli sauce. However, if you use red chili sauce then it will also give nice color to the manchurian.
Response: HI Raji, thanks for trying the recipe. If you deep fry the florets on very low flame or oil is not properly hot then florets will not turn crispy and comes with lots of oil.
Deep fry them over medium flame while oil is medium hot.
i\'ll try diz superb recipe.
Response: You can not skip the tomato sauce. It is added to get mild sweet and tangy taste. If you skip it then taste of the dish will change.
Response: Thank you for trying the recipe. Soya sauce has mild bitter taste and specific smell, you can adjust it's quantity according to your taste. If you like the more tangy and mild sweet taste then add more tomato sauce.
It's finger licking, awesome..