|For Crisp Outer Layer:|
|1½ cups Maida (all purpose flour)|
|3½ tablespoons Oil|
|For Dry Spicy Stuffing:|
|1/2 cup Papdi Gathiya or Sev, crushed like coarse powder or Roasted Gram Flour|
|1½ tablespoons Date Tamarind Chutney|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1½ teaspoons Red Chilli Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Black Peppercorns, crushed coarsely|
|1/2 teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (aamchur)|
|1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds (til)|
|1 tablespoon Dry Coriander Seeds (dhaniye ki bij)|
|1 tablespoon Fennel Seeds (saunf)|
|1/2 teaspoon Poppy Seeds (khuskhus)|
|1/4 cup Cashew nuts (roughly chopped)|
|10-12 pieces Raisins (kismis)|
|2 tablespoons Almonds, roughly chopped|
|2 tablespoons Powdered Sugar|
|1 tablespoon + for deep frying Oil|
- Crush gathiya or sev to medium coarse powder or roast the gram flour until light golden brown.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan or kadai over low flame. Add all stuffing ingredients except crushed gathiya, date tamarind chutney, sugar and salt; sauté over low flame for 30 seconds.
- Add crushed gathiya, date tamarind chutney, sugar and salt. Mix properly and roast for a minute. Turn off the flame and let it cool for 4-5 minutes. Dry and spicy stuffing for kachori is ready.
- Take maida, salt and 3½ tablespoons oil in a large bowl and mix well. Add warm water as needed and knead a smooth dough (like paratha dough).
- Divide dough into 16 small lemon size portions and give them a shape of ball. Roll out each ball into thick circular puri having approx. 4-inch diameter.
- Put 1-2 teaspoons stuffing mixture in the center of puri. Wrap stuffing with puri and seal its edges and again give it a shape of ball.
- Heat oil over medium flame to deep fry kachoris. When oil is medium hot, carefully slide or drop 5-6 raw balls in oil and deep fry over low flame until they turn light brown. Deep fry the remaining balls in same way.
- Crispy and spicy dry kachori is ready. Enjoy it on its own or serve it with green chutney. You can store it in an air tight container for 15 days at room temperature.
- If gathiya is not available, use 1/2 cup roasted gram flour (roast gram flour (coarse) using 1 teaspoon oil over low flame until light brown, stir constantly to avoid burning). However, its taste will be bit different.
- To make outer layer crisp and cook evenly, deep fry it over low flame. Deep frying it over medium or high flame will make small bubbles on its outer surface leaving inner surface uncooked.
- Please remember that gathiya’s are already salted. Hence, do not add too much salt in step 2 mentioned above.
- Use 3 tablespoons jaggery dissolved in hot water instead of powdered sugar for variation in taste.