Gobi Manchurian Gravy Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|For Gobi Manchurian Florets|
|2 tablespoons Maida (all purpose flour)|
|4 tablespoons Cornflour (corn starch)|
|1/2 medium size Cauliflower (Gobi)|
|1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste|
|Cooking Oil, for deep frying|
|1/4 cup Water|
|1/2 tablespoon finely chopped Ginger|
|2 Green Chillies, deseeded and slit lengthwise|
|2 teaspoons finely chopped Garlic|
|3 tablespoons finely chopped Spring Onion|
|1 tablespoon Cooking Oil|
|2 tablespoons Soy Sauce|
|1/2 tablespoon Chilli Sauce|
|2 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup|
|1/2 teaspoon Pepper Powder|
|2 tablespoons Cornflour (corn starch)|
|2 cups Hot Water|
- Clean cauliflower and break it into big florets. Boil florets in plenty of water for 3 minutes. Drain water and pat dry them on kitchen towel.
- Take maida, cornflour, ginger-garlic paste and salt in medium size bowl. Add approx. 1/4 cup water; mix all ingredients and make a batter. Make sure that batter should be neither very thick nor watery. (its thickness should be similar to dosa batter or pancake batter) Add cauliflower florets in batter and mix well until all florets are coated with batter.
- Heat cooking oil in kadai (pan) over medium flame. When oil is hot enough to deep fry, carefully slide or drop 7 to 8 batter coated florets and deep fry over medium flame until they turn golden brown.
- Drain and transfer florets to plate. (If possible, spread kitchen paper napkin over plate to absorb excess oil from deep fried florets) Deep fry remaining florets until golden brown.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons cornflour in 1/2 cup water and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger, garlic, green chilli and chopped spring onion. Sauté on medium heat for a minute.
- Add soy sauce, chili sauce, tomato ketchup, pepper powder and salt; cook for 1 minute.
- Pour 2 cups hot water and bring mixture to boil over medium flame. Boil it for a minute. Add dissolved cornflour while stirring constantly to avoid forming lumps. Stir and cook on low flame for a minute.
- Add deep fried cauliflower florets and cook for 3 minutes over medium flame.
- Gobi Manchurian with spicy gravy is ready. Transfer it to another bowl and garnish with chopped spring onion. Serve it with schezwan noodles or Chinese fried rice.
- Clean cauliflower florets by soaking them in warm salted water for 15 minutes.
- Do not deep fry too many gobi florets at a time otherwise they will not cook evenly due to over crowding.
- Chilli sauce and soy sauce are two main flavoring agents in this recipe, adjust the quantity of them to get desired taste.
- To prepare crispier cauliflower florets deep fry them little longer. Also, you can mix florets into gravy only before serving to preserve their crispiness.
Response: No, you cannot use anything else instead of maida.
Can you suggest me the substitute of corn flour or corn meal. Can I use the wheat flour or besan instead of corn flour?
Response: Hi Sakshi, cornflour means corn starch (not corn meal) is used in this recipe. You cannot use anything else instead of it in this recipe.
Helped a lot!!
Response: Hi Sruthi, thanks for trying the recipe. The gravy will turn thick when it cools down. You can adjust the amount of water (in step-3) according to make the thick or thin gravy of your choice.
Please help!! Where did I go wrong?
Could you please tell? Thank you.
Response: Hi, I am so sorry to hear that it didn't come out well. There could be many reasons for it.
1. Did you add the hot water or normal cold (or warm) water while making gravy? If you use normal cold water, you need to cook gravy for longer duration (before adding florets).
2. For making cauliflower florets crispy, deep fry them on medium flame and as mentioned in the last tips in tips section , add florets into gravy just before serving. This will preserve their crispiness. They turned to become soggy as they absorb the water from gravy.
3. Gravy could also turn thick if you use more corn flour or use less water. Make sure that you use ingredients in the same ratio as mentioned above.
4. If gravy is not cooked perfectly then it could taste and smell like raw corn starch. You should cook it until it doesn't smell raw and gravy turns transparent.
Time required to cook gravy for manchurian would vary on factors like size and thickness of cooking vessel being used, quantity and type of heat source (electric or gas or induction). So it is necessary to check the texture, color and taste at the end of every step before moving to next step.
Thanks a lot.
Such a simple dish
Simply superb......thanks to the subscriber of this recipe!!
I used Dark soy sauce instead of the regular one.
Response: This dish can be served to 4 persons as a side dish with fried rice and noodles.
First off, Thanks a ton for Gobi Manchurian Recipe!
Your site is wonderful for showing step by step method to make dishes ! It\'s easy for beginners like me to follow !
I just have one doubt in this recipe - the Pepper Powder used is Black Pepper Powder or White Pepper Powder ?
Response: Thanks for your feedback. In this recipe we have used black pepper powder.
Response: Thanks a lot Madhumathi and everyone for the nice feedback. It really keeps us motivated.