Sweet Lassi, a yogurt based creamy, sweetened and chilled beverage from Punjabi cuisine is a popular drink in North India. It is usually served after the meal or in the afternoon during the hot summer days as a cooling beverage. Nowadays, many varieties of lassi like strawberry lassi, rose lassi, mango lassi
, plain lassi, etc. are available but the two main types are – SWEET and SALTY. In this recipe, we are making the sweet lassi – first, the curd is whisked until smooth and then sugar is added for sweetness and cardamom to get the nice flavor. Finally, water or milk is added to dilute it a little bit as per the preference.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
|2 cups Plain Curd (yogurt/dahi) (500 ml)|
|3 tablespoons Sugar|
|1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder|
|1/2 cup Water or Milk|
|1 tablespoon chopped Mixed nuts, for garnishing, optional|Directions:
Take 2 cups curd (plain yogurt/dahi) in a deep vessel or a pot. We have used the homemade curd in this recipe.
Add 3 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder.
Whisk it using a hand beater or a wired whisk or a mathani or a hand blender until smooth.
Add 1/2 cup water or milk.
Whisk again for 1-2 minutes or until a nice frothy layer on top and sugar dissolves completely. Sweet Lassi is ready for serving. Pour into two individual serving glasses and garnish with chopped mixed nuts.
Tips and Variations:
- Use homemade curd for better taste.
- For the best flavor, use a mathani or a wired whisk (don’t use the electric one) to make the lassi.
- Make sure that curd is not sour otherwise the lassi will taste sour.
- Use full fat curd (whole milk yogurt) for creamy lassi.
- Use powdered sugar to dissolve the sugar easily.
- For variation, top the lassi with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- To make Fresh Fruit Lassi, add 1/2 cup puree of any fresh fruit like strawberry or mango.
Taste: Sweet and Creamy
Serving Ideas: Serve lassi as a chilled afternoon beverage during hot summer days. Top the lassi with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and dry fruits to serve as a dessert in party.
Recipe printed from : https://foodviva.com
Click here to print.