Vegetable Puff, a snack with crisp-n-flaky outer layer and mixed vegetables stuffing, is a quick and tasty way of satisfying urge of something savory. Preparing Veg Puff is a three step process; prepare puff pastry sheet, prepare stuffing with cooked mixed vegetables and spices, and bake the puff. This Vegetable Puff Recipe explains how to make Vegetable Puff at home using ready made puff pastry sheets with step by step photos. With ready made pastry sheets, it doesn’t require much process and takes only 15-20 minutes for making stuffing and assembling puffs and 15-20 minutes for baking, and cooling them a bit.
|1 box Readymade Puff Pastry Sheet (used Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheet)|
|2 teaspoons Oil|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1 medium Onion, finely chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)|
|1 small Boiled Potato, chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)|
|1/3 cup chopped Carrot|
|1/3 cup Green Peas (fresh or frozen)|
|1/3 cup chopped Green Beans, optional|
|A pinch of Chaat Masala Powder|
|1/3 teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (aamchur) or 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|A pinch of Turmeric Powder|
|A pinch of Garam Masala Powder, optional|
|1 teaspoon Cumin-coriander Powder, optional|
|Salt to taste|
Directions for Stuffing:
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan or kadai over medium flame. Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds; when they turn golden brown, add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion. Sauté until onion turns translucent.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped carrot, 1/3 cup green peas, 1/3 cup chopped green beans and a pinch of salt.
- Sauté until vegetables turn little soft. It will take around 3-4 minutes over medium flame.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped boiled potato.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add a pinch of chaat masala powder, 1/3 teaspoon dry mango powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, a pinch of garam masala powder and 1 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if required.
- Mix well and cook for a minute. Turn off the flame. Stuffing masala for Veg Puff is ready. Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Follow the instructions given on the box to thaw or defrost the puff pastry sheet.
- Thaw the pastry sheet to room temperature. Preheat the oven at 425 F (220 C) for 10 minutes.
- Cut thawed sheet into 3 to 4 inch squares as shown in the photo.
- Put 1-2 tablespoons stuffing in the center of half of the squares. Lightly moisten the edges with a wet brush or finger.
- Fold each one to give a triangle shape (as shown in the photo). You can also cover it with another square to give it a square shape. Press the edges with hand or a fork.
- Place raw puffs directly on baking tray or a baking tray lined with aluminum foil/butter paper. Place baking tray on the middle rack in preheated oven and bake it at 425 F (220 C) for around 20 minutes or until the top surface turns golden brown and crispy. Remove baking tray from oven.
Tips and Variations:
- Add vegetables of your choice. You can use beetroot, sweet corn, green peas, cabbage, cauliflower, potato, beans, green peas, carrot, etc.
- Follow the instructions given on the box to thaw/defrost the puff pastry sheet.
- You can use boiled (steam cooked) vegetables in step-3 instead of sautéing raw vegetables for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt while boiling potato to enhance the taste. (Boil chopped potato in salted water in a pot/pan for 5-7 minutes or boil the whole potato in a pressure cooker.)
Taste: Mild spicy with crispy outer layer
Serving Ideas: Serve vegetable puff with tomato ketchup or green coriander chutney to kids as an evening snack/after school snack. It can be also served with a cup of hot tea/coffee.