This is a bread salad prepared with toasted or fried pita bread pieces, various vegetables and tempting olive oil based spiced salad dressing. It is a healthy stomach filling Lebanese salad now famous in USA and world over.
|2 medium size Pita Bread (fried or toasted)|
|2 medium size Tomatoes|
|1/2 head Romaine Lettuce|
|4 Green Onion|
|1 sliced Radish (optional)|
|1/4 cup chopped Green Pepper|
|1/4 cup chopped Fresh Mint (optional)|
|1/4 cup chopped Fresh Parsley|
|1/4 cup chopped Fresh Cilantro|
|3/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (as per your taste)|
|2 teaspoons Sumac|
|3 tablespoons Lemon Juice|
|1/4 cup Olive oil|
|2 crushed Garlic Cloves|
- Take fried or toasted pita bread and break it into bite size pieces. You can also tear it before frying and toasting.
- Chop lettuce into bite-size pieces. You can also tear it using your hands. Wash and dry the lettuce.
- Chop tomato and onion into small pieces.
- Peel and cut cucumber lengthwise and chop into pieces.
- Take a chopped lettuce in a big bowl. Add fried pita bread pieces, tomato, green onion, radish, green pepper, fresh mint leaves, fresh parsley and fresh cilantro in it.
- Toss gently to mix them.
- Now prepare a salad dressing by taking ground black pepper, sumac, lemon juice, olive oil, crushed garlic and salt in another bowl and mix well. Pour it over mixed vegetables and pita bread.
- Toss gently to mix well.
- Tempting Fattoush Salad is ready to serve. Serve it immediately.
Tips and Variations:
- If you do not like to mix pita bread pieces while preparing salad, then arrange them on sides of a bowl.
- Add black olives, feta cheese, red pepper, carrots etc. for variation.
- Fried bread tastes best but if you are health conscious, then use toasted bread.