Vegetable Pulao Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|1/2 cup Basmati Rice (long grained rice)|
|1 medium Onion, finely chopped|
|1 small Tomato, finely chopped|
|1/4 cup Green Peas (mutter), fresh or frozen|
|3 tablespoons finely chopped French Beans|
|1/4 cup finely chopped Carrot|
|1 small piece of Bay Leaf|
|1-inch piece of Cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|1/8 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves|
|2 tablespoons Oil|
|1 teaspoon Ghee|
|1 cup Water|
|Salt to taste|
- Wash rice and soak it in water for 15-20 minutes. Drain and keep aside until needed.
- Heat ghee and oil together in a pressure cooker (2-liter capacity, stainless steel cooker) on low flame. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onion and sauté until it turns light brown or for approx. 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato, green peas, french beans and carrot.
- Stir-fry them for approx. 2 minutes.
- Add soaked (drained) rice, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Stir-fry them for approx. 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook over medium flame for 2 whistles. When 1st whistle is completed, reduce the flame to low and cook until another whistle. Turn off flame.
- Let it cool at room temperature until pressure inside cooker comes down naturally. Open the lid carefully and fluff the rice with a fork. Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- We have used 2 liter capacity stainless steel cooker in this recipe. However, you can use larger size of cooker as well but you need to determine how many whistles and what flame intensity will be required to cook it properly. If you are using pressure cooker made of aluminum then cook it for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- You can prepare it in large quantity in larger pressure cooker. Just use rice and water in 1:2 ratios. i.e. for every one cup rice two cups water should be added.
- You can also prepare equally delicious mixed vegetable rice pulao in a pan with a lid. Use same amount of ingredients as mentioned in this recipe, cover pan with a lid and cook it on low flame for 8-10 minutes. Do not open the lid in between while cooking. After turning off the flame, open the lid after 7-8 minutes. However, cooking in a pan may require more water as steam will escape easily, hence add 1/4 cup more water for given recipe.
Most of my family members liked it..
Response: Thank you Chitra for trying the recipe and writing the feedback. When you try this next time, add less water to make non-sticky rice.
Response: Yes, you need to double the ingredients.
Response: Yes, you can add potato with other vegetables.
Response: 1/2 cup rice means 100 gms of rice.
Response: Garam masala has cinnamon and clove but whole cinnamon and clove gives strong flavor to the pulao. No need to fry the garam masala in oil because the masala is be cooked with rice in next steps, so it will not taste raw.
Response: Hi Fatema, no need to boil the rice first.
Response: If you have never used the pressure cooker then I suggest you to follow the instructions completely (like amount of water and cooking over medium flame) and do not change any ingredient ratio. Two whistles means when two times pressure cooker whistles completed. You can also cook it in a pan, follow the same method and cook it for 10-12 minutes over low flame in covered pan or until rice is cooked (for detailed direction to cook pulao in a pan follow this recipe of palak pulao).
Response: Hi Anjali, follow the given tips to make non-sticky rice.
1. Always use basmati rice for pulao.
2. Wash the rice at least 3-4 times or until water is clear.
3. Do not add more water. For 1/2 cup rice use 1 cup water or follow the instructions given on the backside of rice package to get water amount.
4. Do not cook it for longer period because we have already soaked the rice.
5. Do not forget to stir fry the rice for around 2-minutes in step-6.
Even the dal tadka was fabulous
Please share some tricks of how to keep it fresh to be consumed after 4-5 hours.
Response: Hi, pulao remains good for 5-6 hours at room temperature and for a day in refrigerator. Just reheat it in the microwave or in a pan before serving.
Response: To make spicy pulao, increase the amount of red chilli powder (as per your taste) and add 1-2 chopped green chilli in step-3.