Out of all fruit infused pancakes, banana pancakes are most popular and widely appreciated one. The mashed banana mixed with routine pancake mix adds a nice flavor and taste to it. This recipe prepares it from scratch and requires the use of cooktop or griddle.
|1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour / All Purpose Flour|
|1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder|
|1 teaspoon Sugar|
|A Pinch of Salt|
|1/4 cup mashed Ripe Banana (approx. 1 medium)|
|1/2 cup Milk|
|1 tablespoon Curd|
|2-3 drops of Vanilla Extract|
|A Pinch of Cardamom Powder or Ground Cinnamon|
|1 tablespoon Butter + for greasing|
|Maple Syrup, for serving|
|1 tablespoon Chopped Cashew nuts or Almonds (for serving), optional|
|Sliced Banana (for garnishing), optional|
- Sift wheat flour in a large bowl. Add baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Mix well.
- Choose the very ripe banana. Peel the banana, cut it into slices and place in a small bowl.
- Mash it with a fork until smooth puree.
- Add milk, curd, vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon butter and a pinch of cardamom powder (or ground cinnamon). Whisk all together to make a mixture of wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients mixture over flour mixture (prepared in step-2).
- Stir gently until there are no lumps of dry flour.
- If the batter looks very thick, add 1-2 tablespoon more milk and mix again. Prepared batter should be slight lumpy. For fluffy pancake, do not over-beat the mixture.
- Heat a non-stick flat frying pan over medium high heat. When pan is medium hot, add 1/2 teaspoon of butter and pour 1/4 cup batter onto it for each pancake. Reduce heat to low and cook for around 2 minutes until bubbles appear on top surface and underside is golden brown.
- Flip it and cook other side until golden brown. Second side will take less time to cook than first side.
- Transfer banana pancakes to a serving plate and sprinkle chopped cashew nuts (or almonds) over it. Serve it hot with maple syrup and sliced banana.
Tips and Variations:
- To make a soft and fluffy pancake, do not keep batter sit idle for long time after mixing all ingredients. Also do not over-beat the mixture in step-7.
- Mash banana just before adding it to the mixture.
- Add chopped walnuts in batter for a nutty change.
Taste: Soft and fluffy with lots of taste of banana.
Serving Ideas: Serve it as a healthy breakfast.