Almond Cookies Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|1/2 cup Almond Flour or Crushed Almond or Almond Powder|
|3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour|
|1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder|
|A pinch of Salt|
|1/3 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature|
|1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (or 1 tablespoon less)|
|3-4 drops Vanilla Extract or 3 drops Vanilla Essence or 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder|
|1½ tablespoons Milk|
|16 Whole Almonds (or halved or sliced), for garnishing|
- If you are using salted butter, do not add salt in step-1.
- This recipe needs soft butter (not melted) to make a cookie dough, so take the butter out from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before using or microwave frozen butter for 5-7 seconds.
- For better result, soften the butter at room temperature instead of using microwave to soften it.
- You can use either cardamom powder or vanilla essence as per your choice.
- Sieve 3/4 cup whole wheat flour in the bowl, add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and a pinch of salt (see notes given above) and 1/2 cup powdered almond.
- Mix them with a wired whisk or spatula.
- Take 1/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar in another bowl.
- Whisk them using a wired whisk or a hand bitter until smooth and soft.
- Add 3-4 drops of vanilla extract (or 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder) and 1½ tablespoons Milk.
- Mix using the wired whisk. Add the mixture of dry ingredients (from step-1).
- Mix well and make a dough using hand. If the dough looks soft or sticky, no need to worry because we will chill it in the refrigerator. Cover the dough with a plastic wrap (or keep in a bowl and cover with a lid) and place in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit (180 degree Centigrade) for at least 10-15 minutes. Remove dough from the refrigerator, divide it into 16 equal portions and make round shaped balls from it.
- Line an aluminum foil or a parchment paper over a baking tray. Take each ball, press a little between your palms and place over baking sheet. Keep enough space between each cookie because it increases to almost double in size after baking. Press a whole almond or halved almond in the center on top of each cookie.
- Place the baking tray in preheated oven and bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit (180 degree Centigrade) for around 15-17 minutes or until cookie starts to turn little dark in color. After 13-minutes, check the color of cookies and cook more for few minutes if required because every oven has different settings and takes different time. When cookies are cooked, remove baking tray from oven.
- Transfer baked cookies over cooling rack to prevent further cooking. They will be soft when you remove from oven, so transfer carefully. Let them cool at room temperature. They will turn crispy and mild chewy after cooling. Store almond flour cookies in an airtight container and keep at room temperature.
- To prevent cookies from turning rock hard, follow the given steps.
- Do not over bake or do not bake at very high or very low temperature.
- Don’t forget to preheat the oven, it’s a must step.
- Don’t change the ratio of butter and wheat flour. Changing the ratio would result in either hard or crumbly cookies.
- Time required for baking the cookies may vary because of different settings and different size of oven.
- You can replace almond powder with walnut powder or cashew nuts powder or pistachio powder.
Response: If you use the salted almonds, the cookies will have mix salty and sweet taste.
Response: Yes Pavitra, you can bake the cookies in pressure cooker. Heat the cooker (lined with sand/salt) over medium flame for 5 minutes and then place the raw cookies in a plate over the stand in the cooker, close the lid and cook for 15 minutes over low flame. Don't forget to remove gasket and whistle from the cooker.
Response: Yes Neelam, you can replace butter with same amount of ghee in this recipe.
Thanks for sharing.
Response: Thanks Yogi for trying this recipe. I'm glad to hear that you liked this recipe.