Palada Payasam Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
Payasam prepared with palada (rice ada) is common sweet delicacy prepared in almost all Kerala households during festival of Onam and many other occasions. There are many variations of it, however, this easy south Indian Kerala food recipe uses only basic ingredients like rice ada, milk, sugar and ghee to make best palada payasam.
|1/3 cup Palada (rice ada)|
|1 tablespoon chopped Cashew Nuts|
|1 tablespoon Raisins|
|2 cups Milk|
|2 teaspoons Ghee|
|1/4 cup Sugar|
|1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder|
- Rice ada is easily available in Indian Kerala grocery stores. In this recipe, “Double Horse” brand rice palada is used.
- Soak readymade rice ada in 2 cups warm water for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, you will notice rice ada is increased in size. Drain water and rinse 2-3 times in cold water.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and roast cashew nuts until light brown and then roast raisins until fluffy. Roast cashew nuts and raisins separately. Transfer them to a plate.
- Add milk, sugar, cardamom powder and soaked rice ada in a non-stick pan or heavy based kadai and cook on medium flame until mixture starts to boil.
- When boils, reduce flame to low and cook the mixture over medium flame for around 10-15 minutes or until it turns thick and palada turns soft. Stir continuously to avoid sticking.
- Taste payasam and add more sugar if required and mix well. Turn off flame and transfer palada payasam to a serving bowl and garnish with roasted cashew nuts and raisins.
Tips and Variations:
- Add 1/4 cup condensed milk in step-4 for a rich and creamy texture.
Serving Ideas: Serve it on the day of Onam as a dessert. Serve it as a sweet dish to guests as a welcome sweet on festivals and special occasions like marriage or parties.
May 13, 2016 by Pushparani
Thank you very much. Very nice recipe.
Sep 22, 2015 by Afreen Gilani
Kya palada rice east India (bihar) me avaliable he?
Response: We don't have any idea about east India but it is easily available in south India during Onam festival.
Aug 15, 2015 by megalasenthilkumar
i luv it sooooooo muxh.thank u soooooooo much
Feb 03, 2015 by uma maheswari
Thanks for this wonderful recipe.
Jul 07, 2014 by Gams
i like it.
i love palada payasam
i love palada payasam
Mar 29, 2014 by Ms. Jiji Brigit
Easily understandable. Thank you.
Sep 02, 2013 by Praveen Kumar
Payasams are a must have in my house for any occasion. My mother always has the ingredients at home and gets them done within minutes.