Kaju Curry – roasted cashew nuts (kaju) cooked in a tomato, onion, and spices based rich and creamy sauce, is a delicious restaurant style Vegetarian Punjabi Curry perfect for festivals like Diwali, Holi, etc., and for special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. The gravy prepared in this kaju masala curry recipe has smooth and creamy texture and taste as that of paneer butter masala curry. Follow this step by step photo recipe of Kaju Masala to learn how it gets its restaurant like taste and flavor with Kasuri Methi and Cinnamon and deep luscious red color without using artificial food color with grated Beetroot.
More Curry Recipes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 3 servings
|1 cup Cashew Nuts (halved or broken or whole)|
|1 large Onion, chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)|
|2 large Tomato, chopped (approx. 3/4 cup)|
|1-inch long piece of Cinnamon|
|1-2 small cloves of Garlic, chopped|
|1/2 inch piece of Ginger, chopped|
|1 Green Chilli, chopped|
|1 tablespoon grated Beetroot, optional (added to get dark red color)|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1 teaspoon Cumin-Coriander Powder, optional|
|A pinch of Turmeric Powder, optional|
|1/2 cup Milk (or water)|
|1/2 cup Water|
|1/2 teaspoon Kasuri Methi, (Dried Fenugreek Leaves), optional|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves, for garnishing|
|2 tablespoons Oil|
|Salt to taste|
- Heat 1-teaspoon oil in a non-stick kadahi or a heavy base pan. Add cashew nuts.
- Roast them over medium-low flame for around 6-7 minutes until they turn light brown. Stir continuously to roast them evenly and prevent burning. Transfer them to a plate.
- In the same kadahi, heat 2-teaspoons oil over medium flame. Add a piece of cinnamon, chopped onion, garlic, ginger, and green chilli.
- Sauté until onion turns translucent. Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool for a while.
- While the mixture is cooling, let’s make the cashew-tomato puree; Add 2 tablespoons (approx. 6-8 whole nuts) roasted cashew nuts in the small jar of a mixer grinder. Grind until smooth powder.
- Add chopped tomato.
- Grind until smooth to make cashew-tomato puree. Transfer it to a small bowl. Scrape the sides with a spatula.
- Add sautéed onion mixture in the same jar.
- Grind until smooth paste.
- Heat remaining 1-tablespoon oil in the same kadahi (use 2-tablespoons oil if you are not using a non-stick kadai to prevent sticking). Add onion paste and grated beetroot.
- Sauté until oil starts to separate (around 3-minutes).
- Add cashew-tomato puree, red chilli powder, cumin-coriander powder, a pinch of turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well and sauté until oil starts to separate. It will take around 3-4 minutes.
- Add roasted cashew nuts. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup water.
- Mix well and cook covered for 3-minutes to prevent splattering.
- Remove the lid, mix well and cook uncovered until gravy turns little thick. Add kasuri methi and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well and turn off the flame. Kaju Curry is now ready for serving.
Tips and Variations:
- Kaju Masala Curry prepared with this recipe has mild spicy flavor. To make it spicier, add more red chilli powder.
- Add a pinch of cardamom powder in step-17 to make it even more aromatic and give it a restaurant like flavor.
- Add shallow fried capsicum or green beans along with roasted cashew nuts in step-14 for a variation.
Taste: Mild Spicy with Creamy Gravy