Lasun Chutney Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|25 Garlic cloves (lasun)|
|3 teaspoons Red Chilli Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|2 teaspoons Coriander Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)|
- Remove the skin of garlic cloves and take them in a small plate.
- Grind garlic cloves, cumin seeds, coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt in grinder until medium coarse paste. (Do not add water while grinding).
- Transfer prepared chutney to serving bowl and serve with Gujarati bhakri and tomato curry (sev tameta nu shaak) in dinner. You can store this chutney in a small airtight container in refrigerator for a week.
- Add 3 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon lemon juice to make lasun chutney for bhel puri, sev puri or any chaat.
- Use mortar and pestle instead of grinder or food processor to make an authentic lasun ki chutney similar to one prepared in rural areas. The use of mortar and pestle to make it will be worth the effort as it tastes much better.
- It is a great add-on for any Indian curries. Add lahsun chutney in a curry which calls for use of garlic to make it more flavorful.
- You can also have it as a part of the meal as accompaniment. In rural areas of India, it is usually served with bajra rotis and dal.
- Add some water or yogurt to make a delicious spicy dip. Use it for preparing chaat or bhel and make them yummier and spicier.
Response: Hi Shruti, this chutney is prepared in Gujarati style and it doesn't require tempering (garnishing of mustard, cumin and curry leaves).
If I am reading this comment correctly, Lasun ni Chutney will go bad after a week. What if I am consuming it after 2 months, and it still tasting good?
Response: Hi, if it tastes good, has no foul odor, no color change and stored in the refrigerator, may be it is good but I'm not sure about it.
Response: This chutney tastes best when served with chaat, dal bati, gujarati meal (bhakhri, shaak, daal and rice) etc.
Response: To keep garlic chutney fresh for long time, store it in a small airtight plastic container and place it in the refrigerator. Consume it within a week.
Response: Hi Amit, you can use an airtight plastic container to keep it fresh.
Response: Hi sowmya, don't worry. Increase the quantity of coriander powder and red chilli powder and mix well (add each powder 1/2 teaspoon at a time, mix well and check). To decrease the strong flavor of garlic, stir-fry the chutney with 2-tablespoons oil (or more, as you like) for a minute (but not more than a minute) over medium flame. You can store this chutney in an airtight container in refrigerator up to a week.
Response: Hi Sowmya, thanks for trying the recipe. The colour of the chutney will depend on the color of the red chilli powder you used while making the recipe. Use Kashmiri red chilli powder to get deep red color. There is no need to shallow fry this chutney but if you want it then you can shallow fry it with 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a pan.
Response: To make chutney for daal bati, mix 3 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in prepared chutney.