|10 Green Chillies, seeded and chopped|
|2 teaspoons Chana Dal (Gram Lentils)|
|1/2 teaspoon finely chopped Ginger|
|3-4 Curry Leaves|
|1 tablespoon grated Dry Coconut|
|1/2 cup chopped Coriander Leaves|
|1 teaspoon Sugar or Jaggery|
|1 teaspoon Lemon Juice|
|1 tablespoon Cooking Oil|
|2 tablespoons Water|
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add chana dal and roast over low flame until dal turns light brown or for approx. 1-2 minutes.
- Add curry leaves and chopped green chillies. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add grated coconut and ginger and sauté for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and let it cool a bit at room temperature.
- Grind sautéed chilli-chana dal mixture, lemon juice, sugar, salt and water in a mixer to make a medium coarse paste.
- Add coriander leaves and grind again to make a smooth paste.
- Transfer prepared chutney to serving bowl. Green chilli chutney is ready. Serve it as an accompaniment with meal or as dip with snacks.
- Store this chutney in an airtight container for 4-5 days in refrigerator and use it anytime you need it.
- Replace chana dal with equal amount of peanuts if former one is not available.
- You can also use tamarind pulp instead of lemon juice to bring in taste balancing sourness.
- If preferred, add some more water to make it diluted and thin.