If you are not familiar with north Indian cuisine then its almost guaranteed that you may not know about this sweet, sour and hot way of enjoying the king of all fruits, mango (also known as Aam in Hindi language). Aam ki launji is essentially a pickle type Rajasthani chutney made by cooking raw green mango pieces with basic Indian cooking spices and sugar. The spices give it a nice aroma while chilli powder and sugar gives its hot and sweet character. Learn how to prepare aam ki launji by following this step by step photo recipe, serve it with roti, simple or stuffed paratha as a side or main curry and make your lunch or dinner irresistible.
|1 cup small cubes of raw (unripe) Mango (green mango)|
|1/4 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1/8 teaspoon Mustard Seeds|
|1/8 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds|
|1/8 teaspoon Fennel Seeds(saunf)|
|1/8 teaspoon Nigella Seeds (kalonji)|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Coriander Powder|
|3 tablespoons Sugar or Jaggery|
|1/4 cup Water|
|1/2 tablespoon Oil|
|1/2 teaspoon Salt|
- Wash and peel green mango. Cut it into two halves, remove the seed and cut it into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a heavy based pan over low flame. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and nigella seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add peeled and cubed mango pieces.
- Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Mix well and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add sugar and 3 tablespoons water.
- Mix well and cover it with a lid. Cover cook until sugar dissolves, mango cubes turn tender and mixture becomes thick in consistency for about 3-4 minutes, stir in between occasionally to prevent sticking. If mango cubes remain uncooked and mixture becomes dry, add approx. 1-2 tablespoons water and again cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the lid and again cook for a minute. Turn off flame. Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature.
- Aam ki Launji is ready to serve. Store it in an airtight container in refrigerator and consume within 3-4 days.
Tips and Variations:
- You can use lightly yellow colored mangoes in place of unripe mangoes that also taste good for variation.
- Grate the mango instead of chopping it in to pieces for different texture; it will also take less time to cook.
- Adjust sugar according to sourness of mango and your taste preference.
Taste: Hot, sweet and tangy